Monday 16 February 2009

A lovely day with lovely children

Do you know that I'm working as a teacher assistant in a primary school? I mentioned it in my previous blog, but not this one =)

I work under the Student Associate Scheme. It is a 15-day replacement in Oakthorpe Primary School located in Woodgreen (North London). My responsibility is to assist teacher in class while taking care of the students. Last Friday was my second day of the scheme. I was assigned to a year 3 class whereby the class teacher Miss Britain is such a lovely teacher.

Guess what? She played lively songs and even pop songs to dance together with students at the beginning and at the end of the day, lol... The songs she played were like "Blue Suede Shoes" and "Devil in Disguise" by Elvis Presley, a few songs by Beatles which I couldn't remember the name, and even Flo rida Low!! That's so COOL!!! I love it when Miss Britain and all students dance freely together regardless of their dance skills or how they dance like. We enjoyed so much~~

It was the art week of the school, so students learn about prominent artists' work and imitate their work to deepen their memory and understanding of the artists. The whole school is full of art~~ Student's art pieces were posted up on the walls in each classroom. Some artists are contemporary artist that I don't know, so I learned something as well =) Oh yeah, I must mention this.... Have you ever saw a painting with a man in a suit standing in the middle, and there's a green apple blocking his face? Here you go...

This painting is entitled "The Son of Man" by Rene Magritte. Miss Britain took pictures of a few students and she edited the pic by adding different fruits like banana, orange, etc on each student's face. Lol...that's so created yet very funny. I like it so much coz it's such a creative way to motivate students to learn more about the artist =)

They also had an assembly to share their art pieces between year 3, 4, 5, and 6 students. Students from each level created an art piece according to the theme given, and they did presentations on their art pieces in front of other students during the assembly. Trust me, if you happen to see their art work, you wouldn't have thought that they are made by students from primary school!

Before we went home, students were brought by teachers to visit other classes to appreciate their art pieces. Two students work as presenters in each classroom to present their art pieces to the visitors. My favourite presenter is a little girl from a Year 2 class. She was sooooooooooooo cute~~~ Her body and voice was so tiny that I feel like hugging her tightly~~ She presented the art pieces to the visitors clearly by telling them the name of the author, the method they used to create the art piece, etc. Oh...I'm sure that my future daughter will be as cute as her, hehe =)

The day was really great coz I enjoyed so much working with children and I get to know some aspects of the British education style. I really appreciate the education styles cos it enables children to grow freely into a unique individual... it's really different from what we have in Asian countries =) yeah there are pros and cons in both education styles, but I'm really glad that I have this opportunity to gain these meaningful experiences. Will share with you about the third day of the scheme next time. Bye bye~~

No comments:

Post a Comment